Friday 24 May 2013

My Pick of 2013!

Angelfall - Susan Ee
Available - 28 May 2013

This is without doubt one of those rare books that genuinely thrills and excites the reader, it's so utterly enticing that I would gladly sit and read while the world burned down around me which is exactly what has happened in this post apocalyptic novel, where Angels have invaded and turned the world to ash. Their rampage has reduced the human race to a violently desperate, rambling hoard where no one is safe and everything is consumed by chaos and even more alarming is that it only took the Angels 6 short weeks to accomplish.
Angels? I hear you ask somewhat incredulously - aren't they supposed to be the good guys?? Well apparently not and seeing as (spoiler alert) we gunned down their messenger Gabrielle the 'why' will not be forthcoming anytime soon… for either side. 

Penryn would have to be my fave written character since Lani Taylor's Karou, sharp as a tack and loyal to a fault, I wish she was my new best friend (OK I admit, bit of a girl crush going on here) you really cant help rooting for her as you feverishly devour each chapter hoping she'll make it out of one desperate situation after the next. Her Angel ah..hostage? Raffe is tall, dark and mysterious with a dry but wicked sense of humour and the banter between the two is quite entertaining. But don't be fooled this isn't one of your usual YA romps, the romance in this book is basically non existent as our two main characters are far too preoccupied with things like surviving, re-attaching wings (Geew, don't ask) and finding lost little sisters without getting killed or worse, eaten (yep it happens). 

The fast pace and shockingly gory action scenes keep you turning pages till there's none left, it's no wonder that theres already a major movie deal in the works, mind you I'm not too sure I want to see some of those sights made 'real'....

Look all I can say is that its gritty, honest and unapologetically in your face and I LOVED it!

Want a sneak peek? Visit Susan's website for 5 free chapters! http://www.susanee.com/blog/angelfall/ 





No comments:

Post a Comment